A Traditional Halloween Smudging Ritual
Halloween is the ancient festival of the dead and the unknown. It is a time to clear away the old and unnecessary. This quiet ceremony provides a balance to all the wild trick or treating.
You will need: -Candle (we recommend our Sage Smudge Candle)/matches -Smudge stick or Smudge Spray -Bowl or Shell -Large feather (if using traditional Smudge stick) -Paper and pen Instructions:
1. Make sure that the room is quiet, calm, and softly lit. If you are in a space that allows you to do it safely, we recommend that the light of the candle be the only light in the room.
2. Smudge yourself and any others present.
3. Sit quietly and think back over the last year. What mistakes did you make? What do you regret? Write down your thoughts.
4. Now take another piece of paper and think about the year ahead. What are your fears? Now think of life in general: is there anything that scares you? Write down all your fears.
5. Now call upon courage and acceptance- ask these two to assist you in releasing your fears and accepting those fears that will not go away.
6. Feel the gentle strength and love of those who support and love you- both past and present. Offer some Smudge to give them in thanks.
7. Now carefully commit your papers to the flames. Watch them go up in smoke and imagine your fears disappearing with the burned paper.
8. It's traditional to leave your candle burning all night to be a guiding light in the darkness. Make sure it is safely in a bowl of water or sand and out of reach of children and animals.